Tuesday, June 25, 2013

#blogjune 2013 Day 25: In which I reflect on my online course

I'm into week 4 (the last week) of my online course learning some basic Drupal.  These are my reflections so far.

Content
  • Drupal seems to be a good tool to use
  • There are a lot of different themes to choose from and finding one that suits your site means spending time scrolling through a bunch.
  • Having a clear site plan is necessary.
  • The course itself is well laid out and works well on Moodle as a delivery platform, with the exception of the forums which I find sterile and asynchronous.

Experience
  • I feel like I'm skimming the surface of the topics - in order to get the work done in the week assigned. I tend to jump through the hoops without any deep reflection or investigation on why/why not things work.
  • It was good to have some others doing the course IRL with me - as I said, the forums didn't really work for me.  I'm used to the immediacy of  Twitter I think.  It probably doesn't help that the rest of the class participants were asleep when I was awake, plus a day behind us.
  • Others in the class have done some amazing stuff which makes me feel meh, but I just don't have the time to commit to digging deeper.
It's interesting that many of the things I mention are also the experience of our students.

1 comment: